From time to time, internet connections can drop out or ROLLER will may complete planned maintenance that interrupts regular service. During these times ROLLER POS will operate in Offline Mode however it is important to understand a few of the limitations.
What Offline mode will enable
A ROLLER POS that was operating (logged in with active internet connection) prior to going into Offline mode, it will be able to:
- Load in any data that is synced prior to going offline such as bookings and waivers;
- Process new transactions & sync them when the connection is restored;
- Connect with peripherals such as printers, card terminals, cash drawers & scanners.
However an Offline POS will not be able to:
- Start-up & login a Staff Member, this must be completed prior to a planned outage;
- Access waivers created after the POS went offline;
- Access bookings created after the POS went offline;
Preparing for an offline period
If you know that your Venue's internet connection is going to be interrupted or that we are executing planned maintenance, then there are some important steps to take in preparation for that period.
- Log all POS devices in at least 30 min prior to the start of the period;
- Turn off any device timeout settings on POS to prevent it from logging out during maintenance;
Just in case there is an issue:
- Prepare a payment terminal to be able to transact unintegrated when POS is offline. Note some payment terminals will not operate when there is no active internet connection;
- Please make sure to have a key for the cash drawer
We highly recommend printing a runsheet or exporting all bookings for the day:
If your Venue uses waivers, any current waivers will exist be stored locally on the POS, however newly created Waivers will not be available until service is restored. Therefore there are some additional recommended preparations:
- Export the valid waivers and copy the CSV file onto each device;
- Print physical waiver forms for Guest without a current waiver to sign;
- Make sure that you have a "test" waiver in the system that is created at 30 min prior to the start of the outage.
This will be used by Venues using the function to require a waiver to be attached before checking in for Guests. Use that "test" waiver to check in those Guests signing a paper waiver during the period.
During the offline period
For POS Offline mode to remain active it is important that you:
- Do not Log Out of the POS;
- Do not close the browser window;
- Do not refresh the browser page;
- Do not restart the computer; or
- If using ROLLER Connect, that you do not restart ROLLER Connect
After the offline period
There is nothing that you need to do. Each ROLLER POS will automatically detect the reconnection of service & sync all required records.