Venues using the Braintree payment gateway have additional features that can be enabled to assist in reducing fraudulent transactions.
This article will explain how these tools work and how to activate these in ROLLER & Braintree.
What is AVS?
Address Verification System (AVS) checks to see if the billing address of the customer matches the address on file with the credit card issuing bank. If the two don’t match up, that’s a red flag that the card might be compromised.
Read more about Braintree's AVS feature here - Braintree Basic Fraud Tools (AVS & CVV Rules)
What is 3D Secure?
3D Secure is used to authenticate the cardholder during payment processing.
When a customer pays online, Braintree will perform a 3DS lookup and the card's issuing bank will decide whether the cardholder's identity can be verified using data supplied in the lookup.
If additional authentication is necessary then an authentication request will be sent.
This is generally a one-time passcode via SMS or the issuing bank's mobile app, however some issuing banks also use biometric recognition methods such as fingerprint or voiceprint, or other means.
You can read more about Braintree's 3D Secure feature here - Fraud Tools (3DS Secure)
What is Kount?
Kount is a third-party software that provides advanced fraud tools for Braintree. This includes a range of fraud detection tests used to analyze each transaction within milliseconds.
There are two types of Kount advanced fraud tools that you can enable through Braintree:
- Kount Standard - utilizes rules predetermined by Braintree
- Kount Custom - allows you to directly set your own rules via Kount's back-office tools
You can read more about Braintree and Kount here - Braintree Advanced Fraud Tools
Activating Braintree Fraud Tools in ROLLER
- Contact Braintree Support & let them know you're trying to activate AVS, 3D Secure or Kount
- Once they have assisted you in setting this up within Braintree, log a support ticket with ROLLER letting our team know you're ready to turn on either AVS, 3D Secure or Kount
- ROLLER will then let you know once everything has been configured on our side and it's ready for testing