This article contains a step-by-step guide on preparing your point-of-sale (POS) device ready for a hardware install, integrating your card terminals and performing your hardware checks.
Steps 1 to 10 below must be completed before ROLLER staff can finalize the hardware install in step 11. Failure to complete these steps will result in your hardware setup not going ahead as planned.
If any steps aren't applicable to your specific setup, continue to the next step.
Step 1: Connect all your hardware
- Power cable
- Receipt printer
- USB or Ethernet cord connected
- RJ11 into cash drawer
- Power cable
- USB connected
- USB connected
- Card terminal
- Plug USB into the computer (if applicable)
- Connect card terminal to WiFi network (if applicable)
Step 2: Log in as an administrator in Windows
To double-check that you're logged in to your computer as an administrator:
- Click the Start menu.
- Click the User icon.
- Select Change account settings.
- Under Your info you should see your username and it should say Administrator.
Step 3: Run Windows updates
Make sure that you're running a supported Windows operating system and it's up-to-date.
- In the Windows search bar type Check for Updates and click the best match.
- Click on the grey Check for Updates button and Windows will run a check.
You must click Check for Updates even if it says You’re up to date when it first loads.
- It will say Updates Available if there are updates to be done, and they will happen now. This may take some time.
- Once the updates are completed you will need to restart the computer. This can also take some time.
- There may be more updates to do, so repeat steps 1 to 4 until you get the message You’re up to date after pressing Check for Updates.
Step 4: Install TeamViewer
- Download TeamViewer.
- Once downloaded click the file to begin the installation.
- If you are prompted to Run or Save, select Save.
- Open the Downloads folder and run the TeamViewer_Setup.exe file.
- Select Basic installation.
- Select Personal Use > click Accept > Finish.
- Once the installation is complete, run the TeamViewer application.
- On the TeamViewer default screen tick the checkbox to Start TeamViewer with Windows.
- Click the menu icon (3 line image)
- Go to Extras tab and select Options.
- Select the Advanced tab > click Show advanced options
- Set the Password to be a secure password.
Repeat this in the Confirm password field and then click OK to save.
Remember to share this password with your ROLLER Training and Implementation Manager over the phone.
Step 5: Download and set up Google Chrome
Download Google Chrome.
Make Chrome your default browser
- Click the Start menu.
- Type Default apps.
- At the bottom, under Web browser click your current browser (typically Microsoft Edge).
- In the Choose an application window, click Google Chrome.
Turn off Google Chrome pop-up blockers
- Copy this link chrome://settings/content/popups & paste into your browser to access Chrome Pop-ups & redirects settings.
- Un-check Blocked (recommended).
Remove auto-fill from Chrome
- Copy this link chrome://settings/autofill & paste into your browser to access Chrome Auto-fill settings
- Disable all auto-fill settings for Passwords, Payment methods, and Addresses and more by clicking into them individually
Bookmark key ROLLER pages
Click each link below, then click the star button in your browser to bookmark them.
Please login to each URL before bookmarking or it will save the incorrect URL.
Set the startup page to open ROLLER POS
- Copy this link chrome://settings/onStartup into your browser to access Chrome startup page settings
- Select Open a specific page or set of pages
- Add this link: https://pos.roller.app/
Step 6: Set up your computer
Disable USB selective settings and change sleep settings to never:
- Click the Start menu and type Edit Power Plan.
- Select Edit power plan.
- Change all four drop-down options to Never.
- Click Change advanced power settings.
- Click USB Settings to expand and then click USB selective suspend setting.
- Disable both On battery and Plugged in and then click Apply and then OK to save the changed.
Step 7: Uninstall software
- Click the Start menu and type Add or remove programs.
- Click the best match for Add or remove programs.
- Search for the following list of software and click uninstall for each:
- Microsoft OneDrive
- HP Client Security Manager
- HP Client Access Manager
- HP Support Assistant
- Remove any old POS Software
Step 8: Clean up desktop
- Delete any unused icons from your desktop.
- Unpin unused icons from taskbar by right-clicking on the icon and selecting Unpin from taskbar.
Step 9: Set up printers for managing receipts, dockets and tickets
Refer to this guide for help with setting up production management to manage receipt, docket and ticket printing from POS.
Install printer drivers
If you're using an EPSON printer with ROLLER Connect, refer to EPSON Thermal Receipt Printer for assistance. If you're not using an EPSON printer and unsure how to complete this step please contact your IT/technical support representative. Once you've downloaded and installed your printer drivers, you should be able to successfully do a test print.
Once you have completed a successful test print, please make sure your receipt printer is set as your default printer.
Trigger cash drawers to pop automatically
If you're using ROLLER Connect to manage printing, view the article for instructions on setting up your cash drawer to pop automatically.
Download & install ROLLER Connect
See a step-by-step guide to download and install ROLLER Connect.
If you're using production management to manage printing at your venue, you do NOT require ROLLER Connect.
Step 10: Set up card terminals to process card payments at POS
Refer to the guide ROLLER Payments card terminal setup. Then test card payments by tapping, inserting and swiping card payments, as well as testing refunds.
Step 11: Perform hardware tests and checks on each POS device
Use the Test your hardware setup for ROLLER POS resource to ensure all your POS devices are tested and ready to be used within your venue.
Place a test transaction and refund to make sure that everything works properly: