Payment links can be sent to guests by text/SMS or email to quickly and securely collect booking payments. This enables your guest to pay via their own device, reducing chargeback risk and fraud.
This guide shows you how to send guests a unique link requesting payment by email or text/SMS guests from Venue Manager.
Why use payment links
Payment links are commonly used to collect payments for bookings made over the phone or via social media platforms. When a guest calls your venue to make a booking or pay an outstanding balance, you can quickly generate and send a unique instant payment link to them by email or text/SMS.
This allows your guests to securely pay via their preferred payment method on their trusted devices, keeping their card details private. The benefits of sending booking payment requests by link include:
- Improved operational efficiency
- Chargeback prevention due to strong customer authentication built into the payment link
- Reduced Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance risk
Send payment links
You can send a payment request link when making a new booking or requesting an outstanding balance for an existing booking.
To send a payment link:
- From Venue Manager, go to Bookings.
- Create a new booking or open an existing booking that hasn't yet been paid in full.
- Click Take Payment at the top of the page.
- Under Payment method, choose Send payment request.
- If needed, adjust the amount to collect. The amount defaults to either the full cost of the booking, the outstanding payment amount, or the deposit amount. This depends on whether partial payment has been made or a deposit has been set for the product.
- Select to send the payment request link by email or text/SMS and enter the guest email or phone number. The default is the relevant booking holder's contact details if they have been provided.
Fees apply for payment links sent via text/SMS.
- Click Send link.
Track and manage payment links
Once you've sent the payment link, an update on the link status (sending, sent, failed) is shown in the booking activity stream. From there, you can cancel, resend or copy the link.
The activity stream is also automatically updated once the payment is received.
If the guest has made their payment in full, they are sent their booking confirmation email. If the guest has made a partial payment, the confirmation needs to be sent out manually.
Can payment links expire?
Payment links do not expire unless:
- The booking is paid using another method.
- You cancel the payment link from the booking activity stream.
A small fee applies per payment link sent via text/SMS which differs based on the venue country and billing currency. Refer to the guide Text/SMS fees.