From Venue Manager, you can conveniently send payment requests to guests via SMS or email when guests call to book. These secure payment links adhere to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), protecting cardholder data and minimizing fraud risks.
This guide outlines the steps to send these unique payment links, why they're beneficial, best practices, management tips and monitoring procedures.
Why use payment links
Using payment links offers several advantages:
- Adherence to PCI DSS ensures secure handling of sensitive payment information.
- Allows guests to pay securely on their own devices without sharing confidential data.
- Shifts liability from the venue to the processing bank, reducing chargeback responsibility.
- Offers flexibility by enabling various payment methods (credit card, Google Pay, Apple Pay, PayPal).
- When combined with tentative bookings, it automates processes by setting hold periods and automatically canceling bookings if payments aren't received within a specified timeframe, freeing up capacity for new sales.
Sending secure payment links via SMS or email in Venue Manager streamlines the payment process, ensures data security, and provides convenience for guests while helping you and your staff manage bookings effectively.
Automate booking processes via SMS and Email
When sending the payment request link to guests, you can choose between SMS or email.
For tentative bookings, the payment deadline is included in the SMS or email. Once paid, guests will receive a confirmation email with their receipt. If the payment isn't made within the set period, the booking is automatically canceled. Guests will receive an email notifying them that the booking has been canceled.
Guests select the link to open the payment page on their phone and pay by card or available alternative methods such as Apple Pay or Google Pay.
Guests select Pay now to open up the payment page to pay by card or available alternative methods such as Apple Pay or Google Pay.
- When guests call to book and it's time to pay, provide the option to receive payment links via SMS or email. SMS might be easier as they're on their phones already.
- Hold bookings for a fixed timeframe using tentative bookings when sending payment request links. If guests don't pay within the timeframe, bookings will be automatically canceled and payment links will no longer be available.
- Alternatively, you can request guests pay immediately while on the phone with you. In this case, follow the prompts to guide guests through the payment process. Watch the video to see how.
Send payment requests
- From Venue Manager, go to Bookings.
- Create a new booking or open an existing booking that hasn't yet been paid in full.
- Enter the guest's details. You'll need these details to send the payment link.
- Select Take payment at the top of the page.
- Send payment request is selected by default.
- If needed, adjust the payment amount.
The amount defaults to the full cost or outstanding payment amount of the booking, or the deposit (if a deposit has been set up for the product). You can also select a custom amount.
- Select to send the payment request link by email or text/SMS. The email or phone number autofills with the booking holder's contact details.
- Select Send request.
Fees apply for payment links sent via SMS.
Manage payment links in the booking's activity stream
From the booking's activity stream, you can:
- Copy link: Copy the payment request link to send via an alternative communication channel or open the guest's unique payment form in a new tab to help guide them through the process.
- Cancel payment link: Manually cancel the payment link.
- Resend: Resend the payment link by the initial method selected (SMS or email).
Can payment links expire?
Payment links do not expire unless:
- You've set a hold period to tentatively reserve the booking until payment is made. When the hold period expires, the booking is automatically cancelled and the payment link is no longer available. Learn more about how to set up and use tentative bookings
- The booking is paid using another method.
- You cancel the payment link from the booking activity stream.
A small fee applies per payment link sent via text/SMS which differs based on the venue country and billing currency. Refer to the guide Text/SMS fees.
Monitor the status of payment links
You can track the status of unpaid payment request links (and invoices) from the Payment Links report.
- From Venue Manager, go to Reports > All reports.
- Search for and select the report Payment Links.
To make a default view which only shows unpaid links:
- From the Booking status filter, select Partially paid and Pending.
- From the Payment link status filter, select Pending.
- Select Apply filters in the top right.
- Select the down arrow ( ⌄ ), then save the filtered report as a new view. Name it Unpaid links.
- Select Make default. Every time you access the report, it will now show you unpaid payment links to follow up.
- Select a booking ID link to access the guest's contact and booking details and follow up as needed.