This article contains a step-by-step guide on setting up your self-serve kiosk (SSK) hardware, integrating card terminals for payments and locking your SSK device down.
If any steps aren't applicable to your specific setup, continue to the next step.
Step 1: Connect all your hardware
Connect all your hardware up to run a SSK. This includes:
- SSK device: SSK standalone station or Windows tablet computer
- Power cable
- Receipt printer
- USB or ethernet cord connected
- Power cable
- Supported card terminal (ROLLER Payments, Windcave, Worldpay)
- Plug the card terminal USB into the SSK device (if applicable)
- Connect the card terminal to your WiFi network (if applicable)
Step 2: Log in as an administrator in Windows
You'll need administrator access to your SSK device. To double-check that you're logged in to your SSK device as an administrator:
- Click the Start menu.
- Click the User icon.
- Select Change account settings.
- Under Your info you should see your username and it should say Administrator.
Step 3: Run Windows updates
Make sure that you're running a supported Windows operating system and it's up-to-date. To check and update:
- In the Windows search bar, type Check for Updates and click the best match.
- Click the grey Check for Updates button and Windows runds a check.
You must click Check for Updates even if it says You’re up to date when it first loads.
- It will say Updates Available if there are updates to be done, then they will begin to download and install. This may take some time.
- Once the updates are completed you will need to restart your SSK device. This can also take some time.
- There may be more updates to do, so repeat steps 1 to 4 until you get the message 'You’re up to date' after pressing 'Check for Updates'.
Step 4: Install TeamViewer
- Download TeamViewer.
- Once downloaded click the file to begin the installation.
- If you are prompted to Run or Save, select Save.
- Open the Downloads folder and run the TeamViewer_Setup.exe file.
- Select Basic installation.
- Select Personal Use > click Accept > Finish.
- Once the installation is complete, run the TeamViewer application.
- On the TeamViewer default screen tick the checkbox to Start TeamViewer with Windows.
- Click the menu icon (3 lines)
- Go to Extras tab and select Options.
- Select the Advanced tab > click show advanced options
- Set the Password to be a secure password.
Repeat this in the Confirm password field and then click OK to save.
Remember to share this password with your ROLLER Training and Implementation Manager over the phone.
Step 5: Download and set up Google Chrome
Download Google Chrome.
Make Chrome your default browser
- Click the Start menu.
- Type Default apps.
- At the bottom, under Web browser click your current browser (typically Microsoft Edge).
- In the Choose an application window, click Google Chrome.
Turn off Google Chrome pop-up blockers
- Copy this link chrome://settings/content/popups & paste into your browser to access Chrome Pop-ups & redirects settings.
- Un-check Blocked (recommended).
Remove auto-fill from Chrome
- Copy this link chrome://settings/autofill & paste into your browser to access Chrome Auto-fill settings
- Disable all auto-fill settings for Passwords, Payment methods, and Addresses and more by clicking into them individually
Set the startup page to open ROLLER Self-Serve Kiosk
- Copy this link chrome://settings/onStartup into your browser to access Chrome startup page settings
- Select Open a specific page or set of pages
- Add this link: https://selfserve.roller.app/
Step 6: Set up your SSK device
Disable USB selective settings and change sleep settings to never:
- Click the Start menu and type Edit Power Plan.
- Select Edit power plan.
- Change all four drop-down options to Never.
- Click Change advanced power settings.
- Click USB Settings to expand and then click USB selective suspend setting.
- Disable both On battery and Plugged in and then click Apply and then OK to save the changed.
Step 7: Uninstall any software
- Click the Start menu and type Add or remove programs.
- Click the best match for Add or remove programs.
- Search for the following list of software and click uninstall for each:
- Microsoft OneDrive
- HP Client Security Manager
- HP Client Access Manager
- HP Support Assistant
- Remove any old software
Step 8: Clean up desktop
- Delete any unused icons from your desktop.
- Unpin unused icons from taskbar by right-clicking on the icon and selecting Unpin from taskbar.
Step 9: Download and install printer drivers
If you're using an EPSON printer, refer to EPSON Thermal Receipt Printer for assistance.
If you're not using an EPSON printer and are unsure how to complete this step please contact your IT/technical support representative.
Once you've downloaded and installed your printer drivers, you should be able to successfully do a test print.
Once you have completed a successful test print, please make sure your receipt printer is set as your default printer.
Step 10: Download and install ROLLER connect
See a step-by-step guide to download and install ROLLER Connect.
Step 11: Integrate your card terminals to process SSK card payments
Please choose your type of card terminal integration below for steps on how to integrate card terminals into ROLLER Self Serve Kiosk:
- ROLLER Payments
Step 12: Lock down your self-serve kiosk device
Please review this article for instructions on how to lock down your self-serve kiosk so that users cannot click away.