This article provides a step-by-step guide for preparing and testing your point-of-sale (POS) workstations, including hardware and peripherals, for ROLLER.
Step 1: Connect all your hardware
Ensure POS computer, receipt printer, keyboard, mouse, and card terminal are connected properly. This includes:
- POS computer, connected via power cable.
- Receipt printer, connected via either:
- USB or Ethernet cord. If using production management to manage printing at your venue, all printers must be connected to local area network via Ethernet or WiFi (Ethernet recommended)
- RJ11 into cash drawer
- Power cable
- Keyboard, connected via USB
- Mouse, connected via USB
- Card terminal, connected via:
- Local area network via Ethernet / WiFi (ROLLER Connect terminals)
- USB, plugged into the computer (if applicable)
Step 2: Log in to the POS computer as an administrator in Windows
When testing your setup, you'll need to be logged in to your POS computer as an administrator in Windows to complete some tasks.
- Select the Start menu.
- Select the User icon.
- Select Change account settings.
- Under Your info you should see your username and it should say Administrator.
Step 3: Run Windows updates for your POS station computers
Make sure that you're running a supported Windows operating system and it's up-to-date.
- In the Windows search bar type Check for Updates and select the best match.
- Select the grey Check for Updates button and Windows will run a check.
You must select Check for Updates even if it says You’re up to date when it first loads.
- It will say Updates Available if there are updates to be done, and they will happen now. This may take some time.
- Once the updates are completed you will need to restart the computer. This can also take some time.
- There may be more updates to do, so repeat steps 1 to 4 until you get the message You’re up to date after pressing Check for Updates.
Step 4: Install TeamViewer on POS computers
Install TeamViewer on all your POS computers. This allows ROLLER staff to remotely access these computers for setup assistance and troubleshooting.
- Download TeamViewer.
- Once downloaded click the file to begin the installation.
- If you are prompted to Run or Save, select Save.
- Open the Downloads folder and run the TeamViewer_Setup.exe file.
- Select Basic installation.
- Select Personal Use > click Accept > Finish.
- Once the installation is complete, run the TeamViewer application.
- On the TeamViewer default screen tick the checkbox to Start TeamViewer with Windows.
- Click the menu icon (3 line image)
- Go to Extras tab and select Options.
- Select the Advanced tab > click Show advanced options
- Set the Password to be a secure password. Repeat this in the Confirm password field and then click OK to save.
Remember to share this password with the ROLLER support team member over the phone.
Step 5: Download and configure Google Chrome on POS computers
ROLLER POS operates using the Google Chrome browser. Download & install Google Chrome.
Then confirm the following settings are configured.
Make Chrome your default browser on all POS computers
- Select the Start menu.
- Type Default apps.
- At the bottom, under Web browser click your current browser (typically Microsoft Edge).
- In the Choose an application window, click Google Chrome.
Turn off Google Chrome pop-up blockers
- Copy this link chrome://settings/content/popups & paste into your browser to access Chrome Pop-ups & redirects settings.
- Uncheck Blocked (recommended).
Remove auto-fill from Chrome
- Copy this link chrome://settings/autofill & paste into your browser to access Chrome Auto-fill settings
- Disable all auto-fill settings for Passwords, Payment methods, and Addresses and more by clicking into them individually
Bookmark key ROLLER pages
Select each link below, then click the star button in your browser to bookmark them.
Log in to ROLLER for each URL before bookmarking or it will save the incorrect URL.
Set the startup page to open ROLLER POS
- Copy this link chrome://settings/onStartup into your browser to access Chrome startup page settings
- Select Open a specific page or set of pages
- Add this link: https://pos.roller.app/
Step 6: Configure POS computers
Disable USB selective settings and change sleep settings to never:
- Select the Start menu and type Edit Power Plan.
- Select Edit power plan.
- Change all four drop-down options to Never.
- Select Change advanced power settings.
- Select USB Settings to expand and then click USB selective suspend setting.
- Disable both On battery and Plugged in, select Apply and then OK to save the changes.
Step 7: Uninstall unused software on POS computers
- Select the Start menu.
- Search for and select Add or remove programs.
- Search for the following list of software and select uninstall for each:
- Microsoft OneDrive
- HP Client Security Manager
- HP Client Access Manager
- HP Support Assistant
- Remove any old POS Software
Step 8: Clean up the desktop on POS computers
- Delete any unused icons from your desktop.
- Unpin unused icons from taskbar by right-clicking on the icon and selecting Unpin from taskbar.
Step 9: Configure printers for receipts, dockets and tickets
For printing with production management
Follow the guide to set up production management for printing receipts, dockets, and tickets from your POS. Refer to Getting started with production management (BETA)
For printing with ROLLER Connect
Install printer drivers
- For EPSON printers, refer to the guide EPSON Thermal Receipt Printer for assistance. EPSON Thermal Receipt Printer guide. If you're using a different brand or need assistance, contact your IT support.
- After installing drivers, perform a test print.
- Set the receipt printer is set as your default printer.
Automate cash drawer opening
If you're using ROLLER Connect, refer to the guide for setting up your cash drawer to pop automatically.
Download and install ROLLER Connect
Use the step-by-step instructions to download and install ROLLER Connect.
Note: Installing and managing ROLLER Connect is not needed if you're using production management for your printing needs.
Step 10: Set up card terminals to process card payments at POS
Refer to the guide ROLLER Payments card terminal setup. Then test card payments by tapping, inserting and swiping card payments, as well as testing refunds.
Step 11: Perform hardware tests and checks on each POS computer
Use the Test your hardware setup for ROLLER POS guide to ensure all your POS device computers are tested and ready to be used within your venue.
Log in to each physical POS device, then perform a test transaction and refund to make sure that everything works properly.