This guide outlines how you can control staff access to editing past booking records.
To maintain accurate financial records, it's important to control modifications of past booking data, which may have previously been reported for revenue recognition and financial reporting purposes. ROLLER offers two effective controls:
Booking modification venue setting
- Set a venue-wide limit on changing past bookings (ie allow changes only for this week, this month, or block changes before a certain date).
- For example, if you're using accrual accounting with monthly financial reports, you can set a restriction to prevent staff from modifying bookings made before the current month.
- By default, all venues are set to disable historical modifications.
- Adjust this setting in Settings > Account > Venue settings > Unlock to make changes.
Individual role permissions
- Set which staff roles can edit past bookings, according to the venue-wide limit.
- The permission Can edit past bookings is required to modify past bookings. By default, this is enabled for administrator and manager system roles, but disabled for booking agents and POS operators.
Things to know
- These restrictions only apply to editing past bookings in Venue Manager.
- Staff can still remove or override tax from existing past bookings.
- If staff need to add items to a booking, they can either create a new booking for these items or cancel the entire booking and create a new full booking.
Change the booking modifications setting
- From Venue Manager, go to Settings > Account > Venue settings.
- Select Unlock to make changes.
- Scroll to Bookings & inquiries and select an option from the Booking modifications drop-down. See below for more information on each option.
- Select Save.
Booking modification options
The following setting options are available.
Disable historical modifications
- No editing of any past items in a booking. Staff will be restricted from adding new items to the booking and will not be able to modify items with a past booking.
- Recommend when financial reports or exports are generated on a daily basis.
Allow all modifications
- Edit any booking, no date restrictions.
- Recommended if you're using cash accounting.
Allow modifications this week
- Edit bookings/items dated in the current week (Monday to Sunday).
- For example, if a booking is made for Saturday and two days after the booking date, on Monday, a staff member attempts to adjust the items that were booked, this setting would prevent them from editing the booking.
- This setting is recommended if you report weekly.
Allow modifications this month
- Allows bookings/items dated in the current month to be edited.
- For example, if a booking is made for the 21st, that booking can be edited by a staff member with the appropriate permissions until the final day of the same month.
- This setting is recommended if you report monthly.
- Control the restriction precisely by allowing a specific date to be selected which restricts modifying bookings/items dated on or before the selected date.
- This setting is recommended if you want precise control to lock editing based on a specific date.