Gift cards are a great way to generate revenue for your venue. They are an easy gift and a great way for your guests to introduce their family and friends to your venue. This article will show you how to create and sell gift cards so your guests can redeem them at your venue.
Types of gift cards you can sell
Guests can purchase fixed or custom amount gift cards.
Custom amount gift cards
These gift cards have their value set at the time of the transaction and are great for guests who want to purchase gift cards for specific amounts
Fixed amount gift cards
These are gift cards have a prepaid value (for example $50 gift card) that you sell to your guests
You can offer guests physical or digital gift cards.
|Physical gift cards
|When selling gift cards via POS, a gift card number modal appears. If you have pre-printed gift cards, simply type in the code on the gift card or scan the barcode using a barcode scanner.
For physical gift cards, ROLLER recommends using ones that have either QR codes or Code 128 barcodes printed on them.
When selling gift cards online, you can offer guests the option to post a physical gift card to them.
|Digital gift cards
|These are gift cards delivered via email to the guest and can be viewed online. The gift card number is automatically generated.
You can offer your guests both fixed amount and custom amount gift cards to purchase.
Create a gift card
- From Venue Manager, go to Products > Create a new product.
- Select Gift card.
- Give your gift card product a Name.
- Upload an optional Image and Description.
- Add Product instructions.
Product instructions will appear in the confirmation email and can be used to provide guests important information about purchasing or using the product.
Create gift card value options
Fixed amount gift card:
- Under Create gift card value options, add Price. For example, $50.
- Add a Variation Name. For example, Gift Card $50
To add an additional gift card variation, select Add, then repeat the above steps for each fixed amount gift card you intend to sell.
Custom amount gift card:
- Under Create gift card value options, select Add.
- Leave the Price field blank.
- Add a Variation Name. For example, "Choose your own amount".
- Select the options menu (3 dots) for the variation to open advanced settings.
- Leave Override reporting category as is.
- Tick the checkbox Has user defined cost and set the Min and Max gift card values. In our example gift cards with a minimum of $20 and a maximum of $400 can be purchased.
- Leave Tax override as is.
Configure gift card expiry
Under When is the gift card valid for? set the expiry dates for your gift cards.
|Gift cards do not expire.
|Days from date of delivery
|The gift card will expire a set number of days starting from the date of delivery up to a maximum 9999 days.
|Select specific dates
|Define specific days of the week or dates that the gift card can be redeemed.
Gift cards are redeemable up to and including the expiry date.
Delivery types & messaging options
Set whether you will sell digital and/or physical gift cards.
- Digital Gift Cards - you can choose to have a video and/or written message available online for the guest to add in a message to the recipient
- Physical Gift Cards - add in postage options or if its pick up. You can add pick up instructions for guests.
For venues offering pick-up only and no postage, we recommend under Postage option write "No postage available" and set the postage price to 0.
You can select whether guests can record a video and/or written message when purchasing a gift card.
Set a redeem POS PIN
A redeem POS PIN allows you to redeem an e-gift card using your guest's mobile device. This is handy if you don't always have access to the ROLLER system when accepting gift cards.
Customize the message displayed on digital gift cards regarding where and how to redeem them. Include in this message where they find they gift card number to use when redeeming the gift card online.
For example, "Hi [RECIPIENT_NAME], use the gift card number (#) under the QR code below to purchase a booking online, or present this gift card in venue to redeem."
To add the recipients name into the message, insert the text [RECIPIENT_NAME].
Example: Purchase a digital gift card through the online checkout
The below example shows the experience of Jane (gift card purchaser) as she purchases a gift card for Sarah (gift card recipient) using ROLLER's online checkout.
Purchasing the gift card (purchaser's view)
- When a guest selects a gift card product from your online checkout, they will see the gift card options available.
- They will enter their own amount for a gift card or choose from the fixed amount gift cards (eg $120).
- Next they can choose to personalize the gift card by:
- Adding a written message or a video message that the gift card recipient will see in their email notification
- Scheduling a future date and time for the gift card to be sent to the gift recipient. For example scheduling the gift card to be sent on the morning of someone's birthday.
- Once the transaction is complete the gift card purchaser receives:
- An order confirmation email for the gift card purchase
- A separate confirmation that the gift card recipient has been emailed the gift card.
Receive the digital gift card (recipient's view)
- The gift card recipient will receive the gift card received email which will prominently display the gift card message or video.
- The gift card recipient can select view gift card will show the digital gift card recipient view. This will show the balance which updates automatically.