Dunning is the process of collecting your guests' recurring subscription payments and recovering failed subscription payments.
ROLLER Payments customers can choose to enable Smart Dunning, which leverages advanced machine learning and network signals to maximize recurring payment collection and prevent involuntary membership churn.
Smart Dunning overview
Smart Dunning is available for customers using ROLLER Payments.
It leverages Adyen's machine learning technology and global network to maximize recurring payment recovery.
Adyen’s vast network analyzes billions of transactions and uses machine learning to assess factors such as decline codes, card scheme and cardholder information to determine the optimal times to trigger a payment attempt.
The payment process with Smart Dunning
When enabled, Smart Dunning will commence after the second unsuccessful attempt to collect payment by ROLLER.
The failed payment will be forwarded to Adyen and their platform will leverage Adyen's data-driven, market-specific retry logic, which will determine the number and intervals of payment rescue attempts, as specified below.
Recurring payment fails - 1st attempt
First retry - 2nd attempt
All subsequent retries within the payment recovery period
Adyen manages the Smart Dunning process using its machine learning technology and network signals to determine when best to attempt to trigger payment.
Adyen will report both failed attempts and success which are displayed in Venue Manager > Booking > Activity Stream of the membership booking.
The Smart Dunning process for a specific membership payment will also be automatically cancelled if the membership payment is collected via POS or Venue Manager manually.
Enabling Smart Dunning
Smart Dunning is available to all venues using ROLLER Payments and requires Administrator role permissions to enable this feature. To activate Smart Dunning for your venue:
- From Venue Manager, go to Settings > Integrations > ROLLER Payments;
- Select the Use smart dunning checkbox;
- If required, modify the payment recovery period for Smart Dunning to attempt collection from the default 30 days to a value between 1 and 48 days.
Tracking payment attempts
Similar to standard ROLLER dunning, you're able to monitor payment collection attempts in the booking activity stream in Venue Manager and the Recurring Payment log report.
Additionally, the ROLLER Payments Daily Summary report has a column labelled Smart Dunning Success to capture successful payment rescue attempts.
Cancelling Smart Dunning
Smart Dunning can be cancelled at any time by:
- From Venue Manager, go to Settings > Integrations > ROLLER Payments.
- Unselect the Use smart dunning checkbox.
This will deactivate Smart Dunning and revert to ROLLER's standard 5-step dunning process.
Smart Dunning costs
Smart Dunning incurs the following fees:
Unsuccessful recovery attempt
- Transaction fee - a fee that is charged for any ROLLER Payments attempt. Your transaction fee rates are available in your contract with ROLLER Payments.
Successful recovery payment
- Smart Dunning fee of $2 USD, and
- Standard fees - standard transaction, processing and acquiring fees determined based on your contract and card scheme involved.
Please contact ROLLER Support for further information on pricing.