Improve the guest experience at your venue, streamline your restaurant operations and increase your food and beverage revenue, by enabling guests to order from your menu online!
Guests can relax and place their orders when they want, using their smartphone, without having to wait in queues to be served. This reduces pressure on your staff and saves your guests’ time.
This guide shows you how to set up a food & beverage checkout in ROLLER for mobile food & beverage ordering at your venue.
Streamline your restaurant operations and increase food and beverage revenue. To unlock this feature with a Premium plan and above, contact your account manager or the support team.Learn More
When to use
ROLLER’s mobile food & beverage ordering is great if you want to:
- Increase your food and beverage revenue.
- Reduce staffing costs at the point of sale.
- Streamline and modernize your operations.
How it works
- From Venue Manager, create your food & beverage checkout.
- Add menu sections to your checkout and set the availability for each menu section.
- Configure and customize your checkout options to suit your venue.
- Share the checkout QR code with your guests.
- Guests can then scan the QR code, order food and beverages from your online menu and pay, all from their smartphone!
- The production docket gets printed to your kitchen printer and your staff prepare the guest order.
- Once done, guests can either pick up their order from your counter or you can deliver to their table.
The checkout set up area
To create a new food & beverage checkout for mobile food & beverage ordering, follow the steps below.
- From Venue Manager, go to Apps > Progressive checkout > Create checkout.
- Select Food & beverage checkout as the type of checkout you would like to create.
- Enter the name of your checkout. This is the name used at the end of your checkout URL.
- Select Done. You cannot change the name of your checkout once you select this option.
- Select the POS device/s located at your food and beverage area. These devices determine which print stations will print your production dockets. Select Done.
- Once you’ve made your choices, select Create checkout.
The checkout set up area opens at the Products tab. There are two tabs to configure:
|Products||Create your menu sections, add your stock products to the checkout and control how they are grouped and named. Plus, you can set your menu availability by linking your menu sections to your stock periods.|
|Options||Configure your QR code, link your POS devices, customize the appearance of your checkout and tailor your products page and payments page.|
Keep reading for more information on how to configure each tab.
The Products tab
From the Products tab, you can start to add and group the menu items in your checkout for easy ordering. This is where you build and customize the online menu your guests will use.
Add a menu section
Menu sections are how you group and display your menu items in the food & beverage checkout, and are what your guests will use to navigate through your menu.
For example, you can create menu sections based on the types of food and drinks you sell: hot food, snacks, sweets, cold drinks and hot drinks. This is fully customizable in Venue Manager, so create a menu structure that works best for your venue.
To add a new menu section and begin adding menu items to your checkout, follow the steps below.
- From the Products tab, select Add menu section.
- In the space provided, add a Section title. Name your menu sections for the types of stock products you’ll be adding, so your guests can easily navigate to what they want. For example, Hot food or Snacks.
Set menu section availability
Now that you’ve added a new menu section and given it a title, you can configure when this menu section is available. This is where ROLLER’s operating hours and stock periods features come in!
By default, all menu items in your food & beverage checkout will be available to guests based on your operating hours. But, if there are sections of your menu that are only available at specific times of the day, you’ll need to create a stock period and then assign that stock period to the appropriate menu section. This overrides your operating hours and the menu section will only be available to guests during the times set in the stock period. To learn more, read the guide Manage menu availability using operating hours and stock periods.
For example, your venue may be open from 10 am to 8 pm, but your kitchen may only start to take orders for hot food from 12 pm to 3 pm. With ROLLER, you're able to create a stock period for hot food with the hours set from 12 pm to 3 pm and then this stock period can be assigned to the corresponding menu section.
To link your stock periods to your menu sections and set their availability, follow the steps below.
- From the new menu section you've just created, go to Availability.
- Then Select stock period.
- Select which stock period you would like to link to this menu section.
Add stock products to your menu section
Next, to add stock products to your menu section, follow the steps below.
- First, choose how you would like to select your stock products.
Select stock products by tag, and all stock with that tag will be added to the checkout.
Specific categories Select stock products by product category, and all products grouped in that category will be added to the checkout.
Select individual stock products to add to your checkout.
- Search and select the tags, categories or products you would like to add to your checkout, then select Apply. Then select Apply again.
- Select Save.
Edit your menu sections
You also have the ability to edit your menu sections at any time. For example, you may want to rename your menu sections, remove certain products from your sections or reorder your products within each section.
To edit your menu sections, follow the steps below.
- From the Products tab, select Edit on the menu card.
- To change or edit the menu section title, type your changes over the current section title.
- To reorganize the order your products will display in, select a product card and drag and drop it up or down depending on the order you want.
- Select Apply and then select Save.
You also have the flexibility to rearrange and reorganize the order that your menu sections appear. Simply select the section you want to move and drag and drop it up or down depending on the order you want.
Once you’ve added your menu sections, you can configure your options.
The Options tab
On the Options tab, you can configure your checkout settings and customize your checkout further.
You can configure your table QR codes by adding Heading text and Description text, which will display above the QR code that guests scan to order from your food and beverage checkout.
For example, you can add instructions for how to order, or any special information you want your guests to know before they scan the QR code.
Choose the POS device/s that this checkout will connect to.
For example, you may have two POS devices at your cafe that print production dockets to the print station in your kitchen. You would select both these POS devices, then when your guests place their orders your production dockets will be sent to the correct kitchen print station.
To learn how to configure production management for your printers, read the guide Create your print stations for production management.
You can customize the look and feel of your checkout in this section. By default, the logo, background image and colors will be taken from your venue’s brand and appearance settings.
If you’d like to override these, then you can do so by selecting override for both the logo and background image, and then upload a new logo and background image. To change the colors displayed on your checkout buttons, text and overlay, select new colors to replace the defaults.
In this section you can further customize your Products page.
- Select Enable pre-selection message, to inform your guests of anything they need to know before they order.
- Select Customize page title if you would like to override the default page title, which is Products. Changing the page title will not change the URL of your checkout.
- Select Allow guests to add special instructions to order items, to give your guests the option to specify any changes or requests they may want to let the kitchen staff at your venue know.
- Select Allow guests to elect to pick-up order if you want to give your guests the option to pick up their order from the counter, rather than input their table number and have staff bring the food to their table.
You can also customize the default message your guests will see, with a maximum character count of 20.
- Select Pick-up only if you don’t use table-based ordering at your venue. Guests will then be prompted to pick up their order from the counter.
This option will only be available if you’ve selected Allow guests to elect to pick-up order above.
Once guests have made their menu selections and are ready to complete their order, they’ll be taken to the Details page. This page can be customized too.
- Select Enable pre-purchase message, and inform your guests of anything they need to know before submitting their details and payment.
- Select Require guest’s postcode/ZIP, if you would like to collect this information before guests can confirm their order.
The final step at checkout for your guests is the Payments page. You can set your preferences for transaction fees and discount codes.
- Select Enable fees, to enable whether or not you want your guests to pay any fees at checkout. This is a global setting and will need to be overridden if you’d like to change what you have previously set for your venue.
- Select Accept only discount codes as payment if you want the only payment method at your food and beverage checkout to be discount codes.
- Select Can use multiple discounts, to allow your guests to use more than one discount code at checkout.
Once a guest has successfully placed their order via your food & beverage checkout, they will go to a confirmation page with the status of their order and their order details.
You can choose to change the default post-purchase confirmation message by selecting Customize confirmation message and including your new message in the space provided.
You can allow guests to include a tip when using mobile food & beverage ordering. Tipping preferences are enabled in your global POS settings. To find out how, learn more here.
Print your QR codes
When your checkout is ready to share with guests, you can print your QR codes by selecting Print QR codes in the top right-corner of the page.
Attach QR codes to each table or designated space where guests can place orders, ensuring you maximize the number of guests that use your checkout to reduce lines at the counter.
Create table-specific QR codes
If you use table numbers at your venue, you can create table-specific QR codes, which are a great way to ensure the ordering process for your guests is as easy as possible.
To create table-specific QR codes, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to your mobile food & beverage checkout by selecting your checkout URL. It will look something like this: https://ecom.roller.app/rollerverse/rollerversekiosk/en/products
- At the end of the URL, add in the following text: ?table=1. Your URL will now look something like this: https://ecom.roller.app/rollerverse/rollerversekiosk/en/products?table=1.
If you select the new link and navigate to your food & beverage checkout, you'll see that the table number will be set to 1 (or whichever number you choose).
- You can then generate a QR code for this URL.
When your guests scan the QR code at your venue, their table number will automatically be populated when they use mobile food & beverage ordering.
- Repeat this process for each table number at your venue.