Session passes have a start, end time and session duration.
Session passes allow you to sell tickets for scheduled, time-based activities that occur in single or multiple resources in your venue.
This article outlines how to create and customize a session pass.
Create a session pass
- Go to Products > Create Product and select Session pass.
- Fill in the following product details:
- Product name (mandatory)
- Short description - shown in the online checkout
- Full description - shown in the online checkout when a guest selects a product
- Terms & conditions - shown in the online checkout and email confirmation
- Thumbnail image - shown in the online checkout and POS
- Reporting category - select from your predefined categories
- Set the duration of the session in minutes.
- You must enter a duration to save a session pass product.
- Make sure the duration in minutes is correct. Once you save the product, you cannot change the duration.
- Select all resources that apply to this product.
- This pre-selection will allow you to configure the resources in the Ticket types section below.
- It is not possible to create a session pass without a resource, so make sure you create your resources first.
Create ticket types
- Enter the different ticket types available for sale, such as:
- Adult, Child, Concession and Family tickets
- Peak and Off-Peak
- You can create up to a maximum of 20 ticket types per session pass.
- Complete the following fields to customize each ticket type:
- Name (mandatory)
- Price (mandatory) - do not leave this blank. You can set the price to 0 if it is free.
- Resource (mandatory) - please select which resource capacities will be affected by sales of this product. For example, if you’ve set up a multiple bookings resource with a capacity of 100 guests and linked your General Admission tickets to that resource, a maximum of 100 people can book in for each session.
- Consecutive sessions (optional) - allows guests to book multiple hours and if you like, at discounted prices. Add additional hours so the guests can extend their visit. Consecutive sessions work only if the session END TIME coincides with the next session START TIME.
- Description (optional) - you can add any ticket-specific information here.
- Advanced (optional):
- Min & Max purchase limits - set the minimum and maximum number of tickets that can be sold for each ticket type per transaction.
- Force minimum purchase - means that guests cannot continue their transaction without purchasing this item.
- This is useful to set up if you want to ensure that an adult ticket is purchased for toddler tickets.
- If you have multiple products in your checkout, you should not use 'force minimum purchase' as it will add the product to the guest checkout regardless of the product they select.
- Group ticket - a ticket type that's designed to admit multiple guests (eg a family pass).
- Tax override - allows you to choose another tax option for the ticket type.
- Reporting category - override the reporting category for this ticket type.
- Image - override the ticket type image to be different from the standard image for the product.
- Online sales - tick the box if you want to hide this ticket type from online sales. This means the ticket can only be purchased through POS or Venue Manager. This will only work if you have a second ticket type in the product.
Splitting guest time between areas in a venue
For session pass products that take place across different resources and require set timing to be applied to those resources, configure the resource settings for the ticket type as shown below.
For example, a party product or package where guests have access to the general area for the first hour and the exclusive use of a party room for the second hour.
Add product instructions (optional)
Specify any important product-related information in this field and it will be included in the confirmation email sent to the guest after purchase. This could be information on arrival times, items included in the purchase, instructions on what guests can/cannot bring along.
Add any add-ons
Add-ons appear as a prompt for guests to add to their cart after choosing a product and before purchasing.
For add-ons to appear in the checkout, you must add them to your product.
To add any add-ons to a product, you must first create them. In ROLLER, you can use the stock item or add-on product type. Learn more about when to use stock items and when to use add-ons.
Once you've created your add-ons or stock items, from the Create session pass page:
- Select Advanced settings.
- Scroll down to Add-ons.
- Select which add-ons or stock items you want from the drop-down menu.
- Click +Add.
Adjust advanced settings
You can also edit the following advanced product settings:
- Sales start date - decide and schedule when the product is available for sale (eg the product is for New Year's Eve but is only available for sale from December 1st).
- Sales cut-off - this specifies when you'd like to cease accepting online bookings (eg for party bookings, you may want sales to close 5 days in advance to allow for catering and staffing preparations). This setting will not affect the ability to create bookings internally via Venue Manager or POS.
- Deposit - select the type of payment required from the guest at the time of booking: either full amount or a deposit (partial payment), which can be fixed or represent a percentage of the total sum. If a guest adds extra items to their purchase, these will be added on top of the deposit and charged at checkout.
- Add ons - appear as a purchase prompt on the page following your products. These will only appear if this product gets added to the cart. Create your add-ons or stock items, select them from the drop-down menu and click +Add.
- Product category - select from your predefined product categories.
- Tax - set the tax rate.
- Waiver - select the applicable waiver you require guests to sign for this product.
- Forms - select a form you have created to request additional information either in the online checkout or linked in the guest email confirmation. You can only choose one form in the drop-down menu.
- Alternate address - applies only if your venue offers products that occur at an alternate location to what is set in your account details.
- Booking confirmation required - this setting adds an Unconfirmed status to the booking to flag that the booking needs to be reviewed and a staff member needs to mark it as confirmed. Learn more about this booking confirmation setting here.
- Upgradable product - if the membership feature is activated in your platform, you can set whether this session pass can be upgraded to a membership product in POS.
- Redeam - if you are connected to Redeam, you can set whether this session pass is sold via Redeam.
Click Save and go to schedules to complete creating a new product or, if you were editing an existing product, click Save to record any changes made.
Create a schedule
Clicking Save and go to schedules after you finished creating a new session pass automatically takes you to schedules. You can also access them from Venue Manager: Products > Schedules.
To learn the basics of creating a schedule for a new session pass product, watch the video walkthrough at the top of this article.
For a more detailed guide on creating and editing schedules, go to the Manage your schedules article.